What do a coffee grinder, a hairdryer and a tying vise have in common? If you answered, “Absolutely nothing,” then prior to watching Davie McPhail’s tying video below, you’d be naively correct. Once you’ve viewed the video, you’ll realize everything around the house is potentially a useful fly-tying tool. Nice work Davie!
Here’s Fly Fusion’s fly tying editor explaining how to tie a simple but effective caddis pattern.
- Hook: Daiichi 1100 sz 18 through 12
- Shuck: Olive Antron
- Wing: Comparadun Hair
- Body: Olive Hare’s Ice Dubbing
One way of beating the winter cold is to sit at the vice start tying patterns to fill up the summer dry-fly box. In this video, Al Ritt, Fly Fusion’s tying editor demonstrates how to tie a hybrid pattern of sorts. The ARF Humpulator is a buoyant upgrade on the classic Stimulator.
Recipe for the ARF Humpulator (Yellow):
- Hook: Daiichi 1280 sz 6 through 10
- Tail: Calf Tail, Tan
- Back: 2mm Tan Foam
- Abdomen: Poly Yarn, Yellow
- Rib: Hackle, Brown (1/2 to 2/3 the hook gap)
- Underwing: Mirage Flash
- Wing: Widow’s Web, Tan
- Hi-Vis Spot: Para Post Yarn, Fluorescent Orange
- Thorax: Ice Dub, Golden Brown
- Hackle: Grizzly Dyed Golden Brown